Monday, July 27, 2009

Why Sin at all?

Sorry I didn't think I would put so much thought into my last blog, but I can't help but talk on part two of non posse peccare. If we were at a state where we were able not to sin (posse non peccare) why didn't God just make it in the beginning where we were unable to sin (non posse peccare)? If God's intent for us from the very beginning was to be without sin, why do you think he allowed us to sin? Can I answer this quickly? No, but let's see how I do.

MECHANICALISM*

The greatest resolution found for answering the reason why God chose to give mankind the choice over sin was avoiding making us into machines.

When we build machines for our benefit they have a desired role to perform. Usually, when the machine doesn't reach that desired intent we go and buy a new machine. For example, a blender that no longer blends needs to be replaced. Machines don't have a choice. They are built to perform and a specific result is expected. A coffee machine better make coffee, another example of mechanicalism.

God created all things to glorify Him. We see some machine type creations all around us that glorify His name specifically in one intention. An example may be true referring to a tree or a flower, their existence is always the same. They perform a specific role without any real choice and perform it beautifully. Yet, humans are different. We have choice, we are not locked into one set of expectation. There is one great expectation, which is following God, but we still get to choose.

CHOOSING

Unlike any other creation we have the right to choose. Adam and Eve were given the opportunity to choose God or something other than Him. We all know what they did but this illustrates my point that God created them to love Him through choice.

God knowing that He wanted a unique relationship with humanity created us with the ability to choose Him willingly, which sadly allowed the opportunity for sin. For we know that choosing anything besides God is sin and distances ourselves from Him.

"Are you saying that God made sin so we could choose Him?" If you're thinking that, stop for a second and let me rephrase. What I believe I am saying is "God allowed the potential for sin, so that we could love Him."* I believe in order for us to truly love God, as God intended us too and wanted, we had to have the potential to say no. With that potential there came great consequences for refusing His love because when you choose something other then God, you're choosing something that is against your best interest.

Later Part 3 -Consequences of Choosing

*Mechanicalism is not a word it is a JACOBISM yet I believe that its intent is self explanatory.

*I assert that I don't know everything so don't take this to the bank, it just makes sense to me.

1 comment:

  1. Jacobism...HA! Haven't used or heard THAT term in a long time. Great post, bro.

    ReplyDelete